Monday, January 9, 2012

Paper Garland Tutorial!

Hey everyone!! I wanted to share an easy tutorial with you!
Last night I learned how to make a paper garland (I rencently recieved my sewing machine and have been trying new things!!) This project is super quick and easy to make! It is also very inexpensive and adds the perfect handmade touch during the holidays or parties.
Step 8
Lets get started!

Step 1:
Step 1
*Select the papers or cardstocks you would like to use. Make sure you use double sided papers since both sides will be showing. I used three different patterns of double sided papers. These are from the Echo Park "a walk in the park" 6x6 paper pad.
Step 2:
Step 2
*Select which punches or die-cuts you would like to use. Punch out as many or as little as you would like depending on the lenght you want your garland to be. I punched a total of 63 shapes.
Step 3:
Step 3
You can lay out a pattern if you like or randomly sew the pieces together. The top row the is front side of the papers and the bottom row is the back :)
Steps 4 and 5:
1234
*Get ready to sew. You can use different color threads if you like, I am using white for the top thread and the bobbin. Be sure to direct the thread towards the back of the machine and tie a knot with the threads.
 *Make sure your straight stitch setting is on the smallest stitch.
*Run the machine about three inches before placing any of the papers in. Guide the thread without pulling on it.  
*Start sewing the shapes in the pattern you'd like.
*Let the machine run about half an inch in between each shape.
*With the hearts I like to put them through the machine different ways so when the garland hangs they face different directions.
*Once you get to the end let the machine run again for three inches. You can leave the thread hanging off if you like or you can tie it off at the paper and cut the extra thread off.
Step 10
Suuuper easy!
These would be perfect to hang on your Christmas tree, use for a New Years party, a birthday party, Halloween, anything!! I love these since they are a decoration that you don't feel stuck with due to cost! I hope you give it a try!!
If you have any questions please leave me a comment and I will be happy to answer!
Thank you for stopping by!! :)

What is your favorite handmade home decor?

No comments:

Post a Comment