Saturday, August 13, 2011

Table Reveal!!!!!

FINALLY!! I finished the tables, yay! I'm pretty happy with they way they turned out, and it was a learning experience. So here is what they look like all finished, and I will walk you through the rest, or you can just skip it:) BEWARE- Picture overload :)

So, remember these ugly things? I bought them from Craigslist for 60 bucks, and paid an extra 20 for them to be delivered. Not too bad, but I probably should have talked them down. I know oak can be nice, but I'm just not into it. These babies also needed some love put back in their lives. :) (Don't mind the ugly green carpet! I would totally change it if I owned this place haha!)

As you can see they were well used. I just sanded them, which took awhile but it was worth it. I used 220 grit sand paper.

I first sprayed them with Valspar in Labador Brown. Note to self: always buy more paint then they tell you to buy!! Since this was my first project I asked how much I needed and the guy told me one can each... nope... I ended up using 3 cans of this brown and close to using a forth since the top wasn't coming out even, but I skipped it since it was just the base coat.

I like that color as is. Looks really nice and I made sure to use a flat paint:)

I wanted to go for an airy feel though and something softer. Most of the furniture in the apartment is in the brown and tan family, so these are a nice change. I used Valspar Baby Blue in satin. I wanted to go for more of a robbins egg blue but I wasn't able to find anythig like it, of course until I had to go pick up more paint! So it was too late by then. I used four cans of the blue. You can't tell in the picture but the tops of they tables came out spotty (again) since spray paint doens't come out too even, I did alot of sanding after it was dry which helped alot but they are still there. I think I have something in mind for them but I can't tell you just yet. If I go through with it then it will be another post:)

In this photo you can see that I did some distressing. I didn't want to do too much, just a little. So now you can see why I did the brown first, I knew I wanted to distress a little but I didn't want the oak to show through, I wanted a nicer darker brown to come through. So a little bit of sanding did the trick and I got the look I was hoping for. Since it was my first time ever using spray paint I wasn't sure if sanding it would take off all the layers, but it didn't! Yay. I'm so happy I went with it!

Like the flowers? :)

So what do you think about them? Have you refinished any furniture lately?
We have a dinning table to do next!! Thats my boyfriends job though ;)
Thank you for stopping by, hope you enjoyed!!


  1. I will be doing this same type of thing with a 6+ft bookcase that I bought for my living room. I'm going for a greenish-bluish-tealy color, distressed look.
    Hope it turns out fabulous like your tables!

  2. Wow! That looks so great! I'm trying to work up my courage to try a refinishing/refurb project, and this post has given me more confidence that I can do it too! I don't think I'm very crafty or creative, so it's incredibly intimidating, but seeing something like this that shows how simple it is, and how to go about doing it, is very encouraging - especially since it came out looking so incredibly fabulous! I'll be coming back for more :)

  3. I really like the distressing on these! I haven't tried distressing something that I painted with spray paint, but it looks like it turned out well!